Cobalt compatible distribution

Alec Ari neotheuser at ymail.com
Sat Mar 16 08:44:54 CET 2019

Hi,

Cobalt enabled vs cobalt supported, what is the difference here? Cobalt is part of Xenomai, you patch the kernel using prepare-kernel.sh and you enable the Cobalt kernel config option via Kconfig menu. If you want to write an RTDM driver, the kernel must be patched and configured appropriately.

The Xenomai/Cobalt stuff is all distro-independent, ipipe and all is kernel space. You won't find anything about Cobalt on distrowatch.

I didn't insult you, I said that if you're looking for a distribution with a Xenomai kernel shipped with it because building from scratch is too big a task, you're better off avoiding writing a driver.

If you're serious about doing this, just build the kernel yourself and work on your driver with whatever distro you want. Some distros/desktop environments offer lower latency than others by the time you're all done, but that's really about it. LXDE/LXQt might give you better scores than let's say GNOME/KDE.

Does this answer your question? If not, let me know what I'm missing as I'm doing my best to help.

Alec