INTR-REMAP error with UDD driver

Jeff Webb w1 at codecraftsmen.org
Fri Mar 8 15:07:26 CET 2019

On Friday, March 8, 2019 1:14 AM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka at siemens.com> wrote:

> On 08.03.19 02:35, Jeff Webb via Xenomai wrote:
>
> > I have implemented a simple UDD mini-driver (interrupt handler) and an associated Xenomai userspace test program. This pair of programs works as intended on one machine. When I tried running the same programs on another machine, I got this error when the first interrupt occurred:
> > kernel: [ 75.122305] DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 2
> > kernel: [ 75.123175] DMAR: [INTR-REMAP] Request device [f0:1f.0] fault index ee00 [fault reason 37] Blocked a compatibility format interrupt request
>
> This means the device is under IOMMU interrupt remapping regime, but it was
> programmed to use a standard MSI/MSI-X request, rather than requesting that
> parameters (address/data tuple) from the Linux interrupt management layer that
> will assign a remapping slot and hand out the right values. Now you interrupt is
> stuck in the filter.
>
> Before suggesting the workaround/hack to disable interrupt remapping: How did
> you program MSI/-X? Via proper Linux pci_* helpers?

The PCI card I am working with does not implement MSI interrupts, but just uses the legacy interrupt pin A.  It's confusing to me that this error is associated with MSI.  Since this behavior is slot-dependent, I figured at first that the error is from another device on the same interrupt line, but I get the same error on several different slots.  There is only one slot where things work as expected.

Thanks for the response,

-Jeff