INTR-REMAP error with UDD driver

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Fri Mar 8 08:14:33 CET 2019

On 08.03.19 02:35, Jeff Webb via Xenomai wrote:
> I have implemented a simple UDD mini-driver (interrupt handler) and an associated Xenomai userspace test program.  This pair of programs works as intended on one machine.  When I tried running the same programs on another machine, I got this error when the first interrupt occurred:
>
> kernel: [   75.122305] DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 2
> kernel: [   75.123175] DMAR: [INTR-REMAP] Request device [f0:1f.0] fault index ee00 [fault reason 37] Blocked a compatibility format interrupt request

This means the device is under IOMMU interrupt remapping regime, but it was
programmed to use a standard MSI/MSI-X request, rather than requesting that
parameters (address/data tuple) from the Linux interrupt management layer that
will assign a remapping slot and hand out the right values. Now you interrupt is
stuck in the filter.

Before suggesting the workaround/hack to disable interrupt remapping: How did
you program MSI/-X? Via proper Linux pci_* helpers?

Jan