[Xenomai] Switch to secondary mode due to pop/push into TBB queue

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Tue Mar 25 18:14:49 CET 2014

On 03/25/2014 05:35 PM, Mnatsakanyan, M. wrote:
> Sorry if my question is not worthy to post here.
> I read a lot from xenomai documentation and discussions, but still cannot answer this question.

The threading building blocks consists of a huge amount of code not even
remotely designed for running over a dual kernel system, so they issue
regular linux system calls under the hood, either directly or indirectly
by calling other library services. Not to speak of the C++ runtime which
introduces its own set of issues.

In short, TBB won't care about a very basic Xenomai 2.x requirement:
services in real-time mode (i.e. primary) should be obtained from
Xenomai APIs, excluding regular linux system calls. One of these APIs is
a subset of the POSIX specification aimed at real-time programming
though, but this is likely not enough to cover every service the TBB
invokes.

Diving into the TBB implementation would be required to figure out what
happens there, and whether using a construct in real-time mode over a
dual kernel is ever possible.