[Xenomai] imx6dl -- setup

Newell Jensen newell.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 03:24:39 CET 2014

All,

First off I want to say hello.  I am new to this list and I am hoping that
someone might be able to point me in the direction to many of the questions
that I have.

Background on my situation:

1. Target machine: imx6dl-sabresd (not imx6q) development board from
Freescale.
2. Host machine: Linux debian 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.54-2 x86_64
GNU/Linux
3.
CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.6.2-glibc-2.13-linaro-multilib-2011.12/fsl-linaro-toolchain/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
4. I would like to install Xenomai on Linux for hard real time requirements
with SMP.

The link below makes mention that Xenomai doesn't work with 3.0.35 because
it doesn't have support for SMP.

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-97974

Because of this I have been thinking that I would need to get a higher
version kernel since we need SMP to work on our system.  However, since I
have an imx6dl-sabresd board I need at least the 3.10 kernel instead of a
3.8 kernel because u-boot wants the device tree blob file
imx6dl-sabresd.dtb, which from what I can tell isn't possible until
imx6dl-sabresd.dts makes its way into the kernel.

I have hope though, as I read that 3.10 patches are not included in Xenomai
2.6.3 but that they can *work* with 3.10 kernels.

Questions:

1. Are there any specific kernel and patch set combinations that I could
use to get Xenomai installed on an imx6dl-sabresd board?
2. If so, which specific kernel, patches, and other versions of the tools
should I use?

I feel that I have the know-how to get this working but trying every
possible combination with only slightly educated guesses wastes time and I
hate doing that.

I appreciate any help that I receive.

Thanks,

Newell